Tight, irritated skin, rough knees and elbows, cracked fingers and chapped lips? Say hello to winter skin. 🥶🥶🥶 But hold on! The good news is - it doesn’t have to be this way. From head to toe, here are 7 quick tips to winterize your skin and give it all the seasonal love it deserves!
1) One of the most important things you can do is really know your own skin type and how it responds to changes when our weather gets colder and dryer. We, as individuals, naturally have individual skin care needs, so there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all routine and this includes seasonal modifications in your personal beauty rituals. Usually, making only a few simple adjustments ➕ ➖ to help skin adapt to environmental change will suffice for most people. There is no need to go overboard, but certainly being aware of potentially irritating ingredients such as retinoids and exfoliating acids is important, and especially at this time of the year.
2) Everyone still needs SPF (Sun Protection Factor) in winter. Even though UVB and UVA rays drop during winter, they can still cause significant damage if your skin is not protected. 🌞
By the way, UVB is the wavelength that helps stimulate vitamin D production, so some folks find that taking extra D in the winter months helpful too. Consider trying All Good SPF 30 Facial Moisturizer
. It is actually a perfect year-round facial product, providing a high level of SPF and
skin-loving botanicals to keep your facial skin hydrated and protected!
3) We all know that our skin usually becomes drier and more sensitive in the colder months, especially when it’s time to crank up the central heating. It’s very important to not only use daytime and
nighttime moisturizers, but equally important to use a gentle
cleanser, both on face and body! If your skin feels tight after washing it is likely that the cleanser you are using has disrupted your skin barrier. If this is the case, perhaps you should swap out your cleanser for a gentler one. If you're using a lotion, try swapping it for a gentle cream, adding a couple drops of water, and massaging it into your skin for 20 seconds to maximize its effects. Skin should feel calm and hydrated after washing. I suggest to my customers trying Eight Saints DAYDREAMER
soothing facial moisturizer and UP THE ANTI
night cream. Some special hydrating body cleansers to try are Pure Anada Fragrance-Free Bubble Gel
, and Aromaland Shower Gel
formulated and fragranced with healthy, natural botanicals. These can all be found here at Earth Joy Beauty.
4) Licking already dry lips will only exacerbate the dryness and can actually cause what dermatologists referred to as lick-eczema
. Make sure your lips are sealed with an effective balm at all times, particularly before eating and drinking, as ones with acidic properties can irritate chapped lips. If you are outdoors, remember lips are vulnerable to sun burn, even in the winter. Zinc oxide is a fantastic physical sunscreen and will help to reflect the UV rays away from the skin of your face and lips. I love All Good SPF Lip Balm.
This unisex lip balm not only conditions your lips with the highest quality organic ingredients, but also protects them with SPF15. You can find this and more All Good Products
5) Prevent dry, chapped and cracked hands - and love them instead! Naturally during the winter months we spend a lot more time indoors, which creates more vulnerability to catching various seasonal ills. Because of this, we tend to wash our hands much more often during this time. This is also when we should be applying a healing hand cream more often to counter the effects of that frequent washing. One of my absolute favorites is Pure Anada’s Shea Hand Cream, which comes in a variety of natural fragrances, as well as, a fragrance-free version for extra - sensitive skin.
6) It’s no secret that feet often become dry and cracked when the temperature drops. Exfoliating frequently and applying an effective moisturizer always helps, but for many, that is simply not enough. This is where Pure Anada’s Cocoa Mint Foot Balm comes in. This amazing product is - in essence - a spa treatment for the feet. In a very few days, you will be essentially shedding the rough, dry skin of your winter tootsies and trading it in for baby-soft feet!
7) And one last tip: Don’t drink yourself dry! Many of us love our 🍷 warm red wines, 🥃 spiked ciders and ☕ hot toddies on frosty winter days, but research has shown that enjoying too much alcohol can increase inflammation in the skin and worsen many unpleasant skin conditions, such as psoriasis, eczema and rosacea. It has a dehydrating effect on the body in general, and also disturbs our healthy sleep patterns, which is so important for skin regeneration and general skin health. This disruption of our body’s natural equilibrium may lead to our skin looking – let’s just say - not our best! This does not mean that we must give up our seasonal libations, certainly not, but merely modifying our intake and remembering to drink plenty of water to maintain general hydration.
Bottom line…It’s important to consider seasonal adjustments to our individual skin care routines, certainly if we wish to maintain our optimum glow, and especially during the winter months. It is not necessary to make any major overhauls and change our routines entirely…just a slight tweak here and a little change there will do our skin wonders! Before we know it, we will be experiencing full-on Spring and adjust, once again, accordingly!
You can find all these and other amazing "love-your-winter-skin" products here at Earth Joy Beauty. Thank you for visiting!